Sunday, June 10, 2007

Verona

I woke up at 7 am and took the bus to the train station. I took the 8:52 which got me into verona at 10:40 ish. I got on the bus and asked the driver if he drove down via viani. He said yes. So i asked if he would show me where. He got frustrated and said no. So i asked some people who said there is no via viani...but there is a via ZEviani. So i guess i didn't understand the woman over the phone. So the entire front half of the bus started talking about it! Anyway...Jane and Alex who were American and English and spoke fluent Italian said they would translate for me! Well, Jane happened to have gone to Illinois Weslyean and knew some of my friends. And this adorable couple is getting married soon! They live in Milan but moving home soon! Welll...they SO sweetly took me ALL the way to the hotel! We got to my stop and my directions said it was right across the street! Well stupid lady at the hotel...thank god Alex and Jane were with me! It was NOT across the street. It was down many streets! Alex carried my bag for me. SO nice. Then we all took the bus to the center of town. If it wasn't for them i would have NEVER made it there!!!!!!!! i owe them my life! I asked to take them to dinner in Milan, but it was Jane's birthday so I understood. However, she gave me her number on the map I had...and i threw out my map by accident...so if you read this...EMAIL ME! please. Thank you guys for everything! and happy belated bday! Anyway, I started my day off at the Arena! So cool! They were setting up for Aida. Started to cry a bit. It was an emotional day I have to admit. The land of romeo and juliet. Missing theatre and all! Anyway.,..then I went to Juliet's tomb! FREAKY! Then went to the church of San Fermo Maggiore. Then the Lamberti Tower which was 368 stairs up and 368 down. Then i went to Piazza Erbe for a cheap lunch (jenny suggestion) which was fresh fruit! SOOOO good. I also walked through Piazza dei Signori. Then I went to the church of Santa Anastasia but it was closed. Then I went to the Duomo. Then I crossed Ponte Pietra and went to the Roman Theatre and Museum. MORE stairs. It was soooo neat. As I was leaving i made friends with a cat! As I walked out i saw two more. Then I went up so many stairs I couldn't even count...but I was SWEATING badly! I was at the top of Castel Pietro. The most gorgeous view of Verona. Then I had to walk all the way down! Whew! Then I walked the water front to get to Ponte di Castelvecchio, a BEAUTIFUL bridge. I went into the museum. I left and went to the church of San Lorenzo but it was closed also. By then I was DEFINATELY done with touristy stuff. I had some gelato at some dinky place. (no suggestions) I sat and decided where I was going to do dinner. I did some shopping in the meanwhile. So dinner time....Number one choice...completely booked. Choice 2, they decided to close earlier than June 15th for their holidays. Choice 3 doesn't open til 8 and i didn't want to wait that late because I don't like to walk home when it's dark. SO i went to a hotel to get a suggestion. The lady told me a place...so that was place number 4. I couldn't find it! SO i wound up picking some fancy touristy place which was CRAP! after dinner I went to the bus stop and i freaked out because the 11, 12, and 13 stopped for the night. So i wound up meeting Mikaela (sp?). She was italian and spoke very little english but kept me company! We waited together for 30 minutes and finally the 90 came. I got on and stood in front being paranoid I was going to miss my stop! I heard someone calling my name and it was Mikaela telling me to come by her. She said her stop was after mine so she would tell me when to get off! Good thing because I was SOOO confused. I got off and thanked her. I checked into my fancy hotel and got upstairs and NONE of the lights were working. I went back downstairs and the guy at the front desk said I had to put my card in the wall for the lights and air to work. I said "thanks for telling me this before i went upstairs" he said "oh no problem. my pleasure." He didn't get it. Anyway, I had my own room and blowdryer so i had a ball! I felt semi clean and then went to bed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Penny,
Remember me/us?? Hilariously, I just suddenly thought, 'I hope that girl Penny travelling in Italy is okay...her hotel stop was sort of out in the boonies' I had also lost the card with your blogspot address on it!! But I was just on the computer as I'm thinking of starting a blog myself, so I thought of you and searched through your old entries. You are so so welcome!! Alex and I are married now and settling down happily in Exeter, UK. It's an awesome town. I should have asked you for cooking tips though - I'm trying to use my Kitchenaid mixer and, while the whipped cream worked one night, it didn't work the next. Sigh. Don't know about this cooking thing. Hope you are well and loving Paris! And I'm sorry we haven't emailed before! Blessings -
Jane [and Alex]