Sunday, June 10, 2007

Roma-2

I woke up at 8 and it was DOWNPOUR! Depressing...but I HAD to go with it. At this hostel you got breakfast and internet, but it was strange. They give you a breakfast ticket and you eat breakfast a few doors down from the hostel. I had a cappucino and I asked for their specialty pastry which was a donut with, no joke, vanilla frosting inside. It was nasty! I left there and went to the internet place which was again not in the hostel. I sat for about 10 min to check my internet and check my addresses. I was then off on my journey to Ancient Rome. I took the blue line to the collesseum. I took the tour and it was amazing. The whole place was just gorgeous. It was about 45 min. I then went to the Palatino. Wow...even more beautiful. I got lost inside...well outside...because it was so large. Eventually I left and walked through many piazzas that I don't remember their names but I took a lot of pictures :) I got to Campidoglio but I didn't go to the museums. I left there and went to the Trevi Fountain. (3 Coins in the Fountain) Stayed there for a few minutes then went to Giolitti which Jenny said is to be the best Gelato in Rome. It was pretty damn good! I had Nocciola (hazelnut), Canella (cinnamon) and Biscotti (cookie). Then I left and walked to the Pantheon. I walked around there and then left to go to Campo del Fiori where I went to this store called Taba (Jenny's suggestion) where I bought a beautiful scarf. That took me into the Jewish Ghetto. They weren't lying! Wait til you see the picture that says Vive Israel! hahaha! Then I went to the Jewish Museum where I got to tour the Synagogue. Beautiful! I also learned a lot of history about Italian Jews that I never knew! Then I was trying to kill some time so I went to an internet cafe for an hour. Eventually I went to the hostel to get some info about Pigna (the restaurant Jenny said was to die for!) Luckily I went back to the Hostel because they were closed!!!!! So I picked a restaurant in my Frommer's book called Osteria del Gallo. I got a salad and the cacio e pepa which Jenny said was a Roman dish. However, nothing against Jenny, it was HORRIBLE! It had NO flavor. I think it was the restaurant... not the dish itself because I could see how it could be good. Then for dessert I had tiramisu which was good but not soaked enough. Anyway, I met 4 girls from Georgia and I sat next to them and talked to them the ENTIRE time. It was lovely to find out their stories. Each of them so individual! After dinner we sat and chatted a little more and eventually we parted. Thanx for a great dinner girls! (one of them is moving to chicago so hopefully we'll stay intouch!) I went to the bus station and waited for maybe 30 min! I got to the hostel to find out there were NO plugs in my room and the one that was there was broken! So the nice man downstairs kept my phone charging downstairs all night and said he would wake me up the next morning! Went to bed around 11:30ish.

No comments: