Sunday, June 10, 2007

Bologna

I woke up at 7 and took the 8:30 train to Bologna which got me in at 9:30. I got to my B and B at 10 am. Mind you, this was the ONLY place that didn't confirm with me that I had a reservation so I felt that there was going to be a problem. Low and behold...they didn't have me written down! SO the girl made a phone call and they said I was on the list, but I wasn't. Whatever the case, she checked me in and said my room wasn't ready but would be in 30 min. So i sat at the table and waited. I planned a few things out for my day. When she was done she took my passport and said she was going to hold onto it til I paid but she didn't know how much I owed. I said it's on my confirmation paper that I have. So I gave her my money because I wanted my passport back! So from 10:15 til 2 pm I napped because it was downpour the entire time. And pretty much the ONLY reason i was in bologna was to eat :) I left the hotel at 3ish and went to Gelaturo the BEST gelato I had my entire trip. I don't even know what kind I had. I told the guy to give me his 3 specialties. One was pistachio with cake or something, then chocolate and orange, and then a vanilla with nuts (i think...not sure!) But it was AMAZING! and supposedly it's all organic! Frank Sinatra was playing the entire time. When My Kinda Town Chicago Is came on, i started to cry. As I started to walk out I saw a guy wearing a Bittersweet shirt from CA so I stopped to talk to him. His name was Brett and he was doing his grad school at Berkley and he did his undergrad there too. He also lived in Bologna for a while. He spoke Italian. He said this was the best place for Gelato and he likes to go to Bologna just for that place! Then I left and went shopping for about 2 hours. Didn't buy anything, but I wasted time til 7:30. I went to Papagallos where EVERYONE in town told me to go. They said it was expensive...but worth it. The waiter treated me SOOO well. I told him i was studying culinary so he brought me samples of a bunch of food! Notes on request. At this meal I ate Ham....AHHHH! I know...SO not me :) Anyway, After dinner I went home to get ready for Venice. One last word on Bologna. Bologna is said to be Italy's Gastronic capital and that's why I went there. However, maybe I picked a bad restaurant...but i don't think it was first place in my book. It was good...but not the best.

No comments: