Sunday, March 25, 2007

Gordon Ramsay's at Claridge's



So...the BIG dinner. Let me just give you some minor details of how I scored this. I sent the head of the reservations an email explaining where I was coming from. She hooked me up...and EVERYONE at the restaurant did too! You will hear in detail as I explain. My waiter, Florent, was from France. He also studies wine so we chatted a bit about that. Anyway, with EVERY course...and I mean EVERY i had a glass of wine! i had 1 appetizer with champagne, 6 mini dinner courses, 3 dessert courses and then truffles. And YES...i had wine with dessert! OY! and you know what...i wasn't wasted cause i ate so much food! So...to the food. then to more stuff ;)

Here we had crab with lemon, smoked chicken and cream cheese with truffle. Amazing. That's really all i have to say. Then after I ate this, Medhi, whom i learned his name later, came up to me so nicely and said he spoke with the head chef who said he wanted to create a menu just for me. He asked if there was anything that I disliked or couldn't eat. I said no, the stranger the better! By then, everyone that worked there knew I was going to LCB. This was unreal. People were coming upto me one after the other making sure I was ok!

The bread was multigrain, white, and wheat with two different types of butter...salted and unsalted.
They also decided to surprise me with the wine. I figured this was ok because Florent knew what he was talking about since he studied it. However, when the meal was over, they so nicely wrote it all down on a card for me to keep so I know what I drank!

This next dish was boiled rabbit, with carrot and pepper consome, parsnip noodles and carrots. The person who invented boiled rabbit was brilliant. I've never had it boiled before but it was great. And the pepper was a great spice to the dish.

Then was a tuna carpaccio on the bottom with seared tuna on top and a watercress salad all over. it was cooked well and very fresh.

This was my favorite dish all evening. It was a fois gras with poached apples and caramel sauce. Toasted brioche and a pickeled garlic. Hands down best fois gras I've ever eaten. Now you may say...well I bet you haven't eaten much...but I do order it when I see it on a menu. It was so good, I'd go back just for that!

Next was the John Dory with artichoke, carrot, fennel sauce and a sweet potato puree. The fish had a lot of flavor and no fishiness. However, the artichoke was bland and the fennel sauce didn't really add that much. Having worked with fennel, I know how much it can add to a dish, and this didn't do much.


Now this was my main dish and as you can see I took two pictures. The second one is primarily for my cooking friends. If you look closely, you can see the brunoise are NOT the same size. Just wanted to point that out! I laughed. Anyway, this is Lamb cooked rare, how I ordered it, wrapped in walnuts. Also confit of lamb in a puff pastry with cumin. On the side is sweet bread and spinach. OOOOh...so tender and very flavorful. I have written in my notes, a little tipsy and stuffed ;)
They asked if I wanted cheese, but I passed however I saw the cheese tray and it looked very nice and I could smell it from miles away!
Now dessert! I wasn't dissapointed...but i wasn't AMAZED!

Number one was a madeline with lemon and thyme sorbet with an orange jelly and oranges. The madeline was way too doughy and tasted like it. However, the thyme added so much to the sorbet.

This was a pineapple mousse with pain de spice and a pineapple sorbet and roasted pineapple. The pain de spice had great nutmeg flavor. Overall not bad.

This dessert was my favorite of all three. Carmelized banana with a hazelnut mousse and dark chocolate inside all of it in a chocolate box. It was very light a fluffly yet rich and thick at the same time. Mind you...i had wine with all of these dessert courses!

Then last were the truffles. Chocolate orange and pistachio ice cream with coconut. The pistachio were great. The orange...eh...done before.
This concluding my amazing meal! After the meal, I was SOOO lucky to get to go to the kicthen! I met with Steve Allen the head chef at the restaurant. He gave me a tour of the kitchen and we just chatted forever. He is rather young which gives me hope! He introduced me to Simon, one of the cooks who also walked me around. I got to meet everyone in the kitchen. After that, I talked to Steve a bit more and he gave me his DIRECT number incase I ever want to call him looking for a job. AMAZING! Everyone was so nice in the kitchen I didn't want to leave...i could have stayed there forever! I was ready to leave and pay my bill and I noticed it wasn't as much as I thought. They discounted my meal by half since I went to LCB. HOW NICE! I am definately writting a letter of thanx to the woman who hooked me up! Well, that was my one NICE meal in London and it was WELL worth the price! Thanx Gordon :)

No comments: