Friday, September 14, 2007

September 13, 2007

What a frustrating morning! I woke up early because I was supposed to meet this perspective student at school at 10 am. I try and help whenever I can. So i get there and text her and she said the taxi driver is lost. An hr and 15 min later she still hasn't shown. So i told her I had to leave. ARGH! So I went home, showered and left because i had bank issues to deal with. At 3:30 I had school again. Today we learned Quail yakitori marinated in lemongrass with a port wine glaze wine sauce, lamb with quinoa risotto and apricot chutney, lobster with kaffir lime and galangal with fava beans and bamboo shoots, and dessert was pineapple and sticky rice spring roll with espelette pepper sorbet. Everything was pretty delicious...although I still didn't eat too much. Demo ran til exactly 6:30 and we didn't start practical til 6:45ish if not later. We made the lobster and the lamb. We didnt think we would have time. And I ended at 9:30 but there were some others who ended after me. Anyway...like I said...its hard to do two recipes at a time. Today wasn't any easier after having done it once. Anyway, I'll start with my lobster presentation. He loved my sauce. He thought it was the perfect balance of flavors...although i couldnt taste the lobster flavor...but he knows better! My bamboo needed to be cooked a bit more and my lobster was cooked well (he didnt want to eat it because he knew i did!) My lamb dish...my jus...way too fatty! I knew it was. Oh well. Sometimes I get it headon...and others...not at all! My lamb was cooked correctly and my farce (stuffing) needed more fat in it...either from the lamb itself or some olive oil. But he said he forgot that himself...so it was ok. My quinoa was good in flavor and so was my chutney. So overall not too bad. As far as my plating...I could have done better for myself. But i have to overcome "when I dont like the dish, i dont like to plate it".


Dzintra drove me home. I went to bed around 11:30.

No comments: