Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Madrid dia 3

Woke up at 8:20 and got dressed. Ate breakfast and went to the bus. I took it rather far to Rastro. This is the flea market that is only open on Sundays. I got there and was so grossed out but I kept walking. I got a bit lost, but eventually found my way. I didn't buy anything. I got back on the bus and took it to the wax museum where I first had lunch at the Cafe Gijon. It was said to be a famous cafe where celebrities used to eat back in the day. And the prices definately reflected that!!! But I had to eat there :) I ate gazpacho and calamri! It was andaluza calamri which when I ordered it I had no idea what kind that was, but when I got it, it was friend and I was so happy because it reminded me of home :) The two things i ordered were on the cheap side of the menu, but most of theEnter away message text here. stuff was over 20 euros! I then walked over to the wax museum where I proceeded to laugh my ass off the entire time i was there! The first thing you do is take a train of terror. HORRIBLY funny! The next thing I refused to do...not cause I didn't want to, but there was a line and it wasn't something i felt i could just bypass. So i went straight to the Wax Museum part. They wax figures were so bad I just laughed. On my way out I noticed a bunch that I missed. I dont know how, but oh well. I didn't care that much because they were so bad to begin with, that it was ok that I didn't see them all :) I then walked to Retiro Park. The biggest park in Madrid. When i first got there I plopped and read my book and then napped and listened to music in the shade. I eventually walked around and got MAJORLY lost. Finally I had to go to the bathroom and the park had NONE so I had to leave. I found my way out of the park after a while and found a mcdonalds. I just used their restroom...bought nothing. I then walked to starbucks to get a drink and journal a bit. Then i decided to take the blue bus all the way though which was about 45 minutes. The blue bus is the historical route. On the way back we passed a theatre that said 1/2 price tickets on sundays for Carmen the Flamenco Ballet. So when I got off the bus I walked there and bought tickets. It was by then 6:30 and the show started at 7, so I just hung out. The show was 1hr 1/2. It was really good and perfect timing because the restaurant I wanted to eat at opened at 8:30. I walked to the restaurant but it was way too fusion for what I was looking for. So i walked to a fancy hotel and asked them for a restuarant suggestion. They told me a place called Los Huevos de Lucio. I ate their specialty fried eggs over french fries (one of my favorite new foods!!!) and for my main dish I ate monkfish, shrimp and garlic. Then dessert was a traditional Pan Perdido. I was SO stuffed i practically rolled home! I got back and just sat on the couch and journaled and checked my email. I went upstairs and met one of the other roomies who actually lives in St. Charles, IL. Her sister (who was also with her, but not there at the moment) goes to IU and works at Kilroys...how funny!!!! I went to bed at 12!

No comments: