Thursday, February 8, 2007

Feb 6, 2007

Today was a fun day because at 8:30 am we made crab bisque. Not tasty, but fun because the crabs were alive ;) I took a picture of my new friend Claude the crab...who is now in my soup!

But, it was an easy class. Short and sweet. First we started with a recipe of Puff Pastry which a good amount of us didn't know we were going to have to do! So i didn't bring my recipe, but chef was cool about it, so he wrote it out. So we whipped that up for the next class. As for the bisque, I accidently put in one of the ingredients too early which inturn made my production get messed up, but I didn't tell chef and just let him taste it. He said it tasted fine. So, i guess it's true that it doesn't matter how you get there...just get there! He also said my croutons were nicely cut.

Then after class a few of us went for sandwiches and coffee. Came back and had two demos in a row. CD and then PD. In cuisine we learned Boullion, French Onion Soup, and a fish soup. All much better than the day before, but still not amazing. Then in pastry we learned meringue based cookies (but they don't taste like meringue, you just make them the same way) and macarons were included. I was a little dissapointed in chef's after I heard his were the best out of everyones that I've tried so far. Specifically I didn't like the buttercream filling. We also got our Pastry midterms today. Anyway, after school Kaili and Lauren and I went to this amazing grocery store which also sells american food products. (not like i need proccessed boxed food!) but it was still fun to shop around at! Then Lauren and I went to an italian restaurant for dinner cause we were starving! Then I came home and was so exhausted that I crashed!

No comments: