Thursday, August 16, 2007

August 16, 2007

Back to school! Today was the last demo in cuisine that i have to cook. I have three more demos next week but we don't have to cook them :) So today we learned tuna carpaccio, lamb stuffed with some yummy goodness and a bacon and potato cake, and a pear souffle with pear sorbet. All of it was tasty. The chef was running SOOOO late today that I had like 15 min to run down the street and get some food before my next class started. At 12:30 I had another 6 hour class of pulling sugar. I was speaking with my dad in the afternoon and he asked what pulling sugar was, so I thought i might explain a little. You boil water, granulated sugar, glucose (a form of sugar that keeps the sugar malleable for a longer pd of time and keeps it from crystallizing), and tartaric acid til it gets to a certain temp. You then cool it by pulling it til it becomes shiny and a texture that is a thick gum and it's still pretty hot and that's why i have blisters! Anyway...from 12:30 til 3 we pour sugar and pulled. At 3 we took a 30 min break and then from 3:30 til 5:30 we did more pulling. We finished class and cleaned up completely by 6. I'm really upset because my camera died. I did manage to take a few pictures of my work, but not as many as I had hoped. And today chef made us put them all in the center of the room, so I would have taken them of everyones to show you what the class is doing. Today chef said my work was great. He told me I am working much better than last time. the hard thing is, we keep switching chefs...so it's very annoying! Anyway...they've all seen my work at one time or another...so I know I have gotten better. Plus they all know what's good and what's not...so it doesn't really matter which chef tells me!





After class I ran errands to get NEW headphones for the 4th time!!! ARGH! Then I came home, ate dinner, chatted a bit online. Since i don't have school tomorrow...I'm deciding what i should do tonite! and i keep forgetting to mention...my roomie bought me a Remy stuffed animal from the disney store from the movie Ratatouille!!!! I love him! i've been sleeping with him! She knew i wanted one! It's great! Anyway...i'm outtie for tonite :) peace

No comments: