Wednesday, April 25, 2007

April 25, 2007

Today at 8:30 we made the Cod in a beer vinegarette with onion rings and cabbage with apples and onions. Sounds tasty, no?! ;) Well it wasn't that bad. However, the beer jus was a bit off for me. I didn't know what it was supposed to taste like so i asked chef for some help. But he liked it. As for the cabbage...I didn't slice it thin enough...so it didn't cook well. They really like their stuff mushy around here! Oh well...it was in the oven for 1hr 15 min! it was only supposed to be in for an hr and chef said...take it out, so we agreed it was both of our faults. Anyway, today I used my french in the kitchen. I'm getting so much better. I'm working really hard at it. And I'm improving a lot. Back to cooking...the first thing chef said to me when he saw my plat was how beautiful it looked. That's my number one importance because when I leave here I would like to get a job plating desserts somewhere and they don't teach you how to plate at this school so I am teaching myself. When someone commends me is the only way I am learning how. So, see for yourself. Otherwise the only thing he said that was a problem was the undercook of the cabbage (that sentence sounded like I was a frenchman speaking english, hahah). He thought everything else had good flavor and good cook. So good job for me today.

After class we sat outside for coffee although as you remember i am not drinking coffee...and even if I was...it's WAY too hot in Paris to drink coffee! Then at 12:30 we had CD. We learned rooster with blood sauce (REAL blood), a traditional pate, and a pear and walnut tart. All three things were very good. After class I went to the gym. I realized today that I hope I survive the summer because it's brutal here now and it's only going to get hotter and there is no A.C. in my gym! Heck...there is NO A.C. ANYWHERE in france! I hate heat! ARGH! Anyway...came home and had a full nite of nothing! jk...did a lot. I made myself some dinner, i practiced piping Opera which is part of our final exam this trimester, i read some of my new book, and I planned part of my italy trip. Not bad for a full evening. Then I eventually went to bed!

No comments: