Wednesday, March 7, 2007

March 6, 2007

Well today was the day when it all begins! I started class at 8:30 and ofcourse no one was concentrating! We had CD. We learned a warm goat cheese salad with bacon, stuffed chicken legs with madeira jus and carmelized apples, and a chocolate mousse with orange salad. They were all good INCLUDING the goat cheese. Yes i know...i actually enjoyed the cheese and would even go out and buy it! i think i found a goat cheese i liked! yah!!! So, then during lunch everyone was studying. I went with my friends to the coffee shop, but the studying started to overwhelm me so I left to go take a walk. I picked up a sandwich and these candies called smarties for my friends for the final (get it?!) and i started to walk and just get some fresh air. Before I knew it...I was at Mcdonalds getting a Mcflurry :) Oh well...I guess my test anxiety needed some Mcdonalds! Gotta give it what it needs! hahaha. It had peanut M and Ms in it. really good. Anyway, then I walked back to school to make the stuffed chicken legs at 12:30. We had a chef we don't usually have and we don't like him very much. However he was in a better mood this time. Class was pretty easy. A LOT of waiting around, for chicken to cook, or sauces to reduce. Not fun! Anyway, after I finished my dish I was very proud of myself except for one thing. I reduced my jus so well it was the perfect consistency...BUT i over salted it. I know I did. So I brought my dish to chef. He said too salty. But everything else was good. I was so mad because for the first time I had the correct thickness! Oh well...i learned! I had a very nice presentation though. Unfortunately my sauce ran by the turned apples!

Then class ended early and my friends went to get coffee...but I couldnt even think of leaving the building...plus it was raining. So i just sat in the winter garden and handed out my smarties :) Then we all lined up at 3:15 to go into the class room. We sat down and got handed our test face down. Oh...this is the cuisine written exam by the way. There were two parts. One was the main test...all mulitple choice, true false, and association. The second part was Bon d'Economat in which they give you a recipe with blanks on it and you have to fill them in. I had to memorize 10 recipes and they pick one and leave 10 blanks anywhere within that recipe and the person next to you doesn't have the same one :) Then I had to fill in a questionnaire about school. blah blah blah. I got done within 30 min. It wasn't as bad as i thought it was gonna be! However I don't think I did amazing. You only have to get 50% to pass...and i think i did better than that. It's only worth 10% of your grade anyway. My cuisine practical part of the test is friday! Anyway, after class I went to the gym to let out my anger for missing this one stupid question that I should have gotten right!! Came home, ate dinner, showered, and then studied for Pastry! Then went to bed :)

No comments: