Friday, January 26, 2007

Jan 26, 2006

What a horrible day. The fact that my heater is broken is not making me happy. And i woke up this morning feeling sick. I'm so glad it's the weekend so atleast i can get some rest! I did have a nice start to my day with a drunk dial from a friend :) That's gotta be the best and worst part about being so far away...my friends in the states are going to bed when i'm going to school! Madness i say...just madness! Anyway...after i woke up sick i had to try hard to have a better day! I wore sweats to school and couldnt even put on my makeup cause my eyes hurt! At 8:30 we had CP and we made Stuffed Veal with carmelized veggies. It was ok but at 8:30 in the morning working with fatback and pork shoulder was not too appetizing. So practical is going fine til I went to go take out a knife...mind you, all of the hot plates should have been off, and one of them must have been turned on by the chef or something and my knife kit got burnt badly! I can't carry it by the handle anymore and there are bad holes in it. Luckily none of the knives got ruined...so I am thankful for that. However, it's 98 euros to get a new one...or I can buy one of the cheap hard cases that everyone else is buying for 20-30 euros. I don't really like them...but to save the money i may have to do that. So that was that. Chef said my veal was coooked correctly, as well as my veggies (however my carrots were turned poorly...but i got better as the class progressed and he said to give me 6 months and i'll be a pro! hahah!), my sauce was the right consistancy, color and taste. So overall he said I had a good dish. He was pleased with our class which was nice. For an 8:30 practical it ran very smoothly.

For break I did some tedious stuff on the computer that I had to take care of. Then at 12:30 we had a CD and I sat in the front row. It was interesting but a little on the boring side cause chef did a lot of decorating work. He finished the duck terraine and made this stuffed chicken dish with a white mushroom sauce which was outstanding! I can't wait to make it next week! YUMMY! The whole class however I was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open and my stomach hurt...but I didn't know why? (i think it could have been the 1/2 lb cherries i ate for lunch!?!?!) Anyway, at 3:30 we had PD and we made everything you could imagine with Choux Pastry. The important thing was eclairs which we are making next week. Chocolate and Coffee flavored ones. Really good. Chef made 4 other types of Choux besides that...all tasty as well. Then after class I went to my locker to notice that my UGG's had something on them...some sort of food...but I couldn't figure out where it came from cause I hadn't worn them all day and they had been in my locker all day and I didn't take home my veal today so it couldn't be from that. Nonetheless, I have a stain on my boots! ARGH! So I walked home with some friends because we heard we lived really close and we do, which is nice to know. When I got home my roomate, who made some really good cake today and was supposed to bring some home, said something happened with the cake pan so it crashed and burned and couldn't make it home. So no cake for me. I was looking forward to that all day! Anyway, I ate some salad with my chicken, my spinach, some baguette and then one of my apple turnovers. I still don't feel well and i'm stuck in my unheated room (ARGH!) so I'm gonna bundle up and try and get a goodnights sleep so hopefully i can go out this weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Penny, Love -- great to catch up -- the blog is an excellent idea. Thinking of you and the fab food!
Can I post your blog site on the StrawHat newsletter?

-- Kirsti Carnahan

Anonymous said...

penny how do you make a stuffed veal breat with pork shoulder? I luv reading your blogs aunt corrine