Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Casey and Dink Day 3

I had school...but who cares because I am so happy I still have friends intown!!!!! So at 8:30 I had a PD. From here on out we are learning chocolate first and then we go to sugar and then...EXAMS! SO it's coming up pretty quickly. I'm at the 42 day countdown til I graduate and 40 days til mom and dad come! YAH! Anyway...we learned chocolate molding which I've already done, so nothing too exciting. We also watched tempering again. And this heat is sweltering so it's going to be a pain to do it! However we did get air conditioning in the kitchens which is nice. Anyway, we got out super early so i went to get a sandwich and respond to some emails and then Casey and Andrew came to school at 12!!! I walked them around and at 12:30 we had a demo! Chef gave them some hell right at the beginning of class but it was funny! They loved it. They didn't understand a word...but they just loved watching what was going on! We learned a Foie Gras terrine which wasn't tasted today because it needed to be cold, veal with peas in a cream sauce and polenta, and then a fromage blanc with cherry and rasberry compote. It was very tasty! Then after class I got dressed in full uniform and we took some pictures ;) They left and went to Sacre Couer. I however had a CP. It wasn't the best...but it sure was funny! I got in, knocked my stuff out and plated like a mad woman. So two funny things happened...I brought my plate to the chef. He said to me, this is perfect plating! I was so excited. You can't see it really but, I layered the veal and polenta with the chips on the top and, oh yah, we had to turn mushrooms...so that's on the top, top! Anyway...he tries my polenta and goes "did you follow the directions" and i laughed and said "no!" cause I didn't. I didn't do it on purpose. But I finished it and rolled it out and put it in the fridge and then i remembered I didn't put in the olive oil and parmesan but I couldn't do anything about it then...so oh well. Ok...next funny thing. He tries everything. Good cook on the meat, sauce was ok...but tasted a bit...JUST a bit burnt. And then he said "it's a chame" and i was like what? He said "it's a chame that your presentation is so perfect but the food on the plate isn't very good" and we just looked at eachother and just laughed! I know I should have been upset...but I thought oh well...I can't be good every day...i'm still in the learning process. And he wasn't too upset about it either!

We got out pretty early and I came home and showered. I got dressed and waited for Casey and Dink to arrive at 7. At 7:15 I heard someone out my window scream my name. It was them. They forgot my code! haha. So i ran downstairs to get them. I finished getting dressed. At 7:45 we left to go to Le Comptoir de Relais...where I went for Lunch with Jackson that one day! We had a SPECTACULAR dinner! We scored because I thought they opened at 8:30. We got there at 10 after 8 and since they don't take reservations and it's one of the best restaurants intown, they are always full. Well, we got the LAST table!!!! We had to wait a while before someone served us, but we didn't care...we weren't standing out in the rain waiting!!! So we had tons of questions obviously, but the waiter spoke english and was very nice! For a started I ordered a salad with artichoke, greenbeans, and foie gras because I wanted them to try it. I also ordered a slice of terrine with tomatoes, goat cheese and pistou (like american pesto!). Both delicious. Entree wise, I got a mini chicken roasted with mustard sauce and potatoes. Andrew had slices of pork breast ontop of mashed potatoes, and casey had lamb confit with pea pods. All three were outstanding. Then we ordered a cheese plate with 5 different cheeses on it. For dessert Andrew had caramel with sea salt ice cream, Casey had pot au chocolate, and I had coffee creme brulee (i never order that!) but mine was the best of the 3!!! Then Casey had a coffee and around 11:45 we were ready to pack up and go home! Dinner was FANTASTIC! PLUS we had a GREAT Beaujolais(red wine!)from 2004 (now that i'm into wine!). Very fruity. All that was under 50 euros per person when we split it up! How amazing is that! What a deal!!!! I went home and so did they and crashed at about 12:30!

No comments: