Thursday, November 15, 2007

November 15, 2007

The longest day so far. 13 hrs at LCB packed into a little blog. So this doesn't describe all of the mental exhaustion i feel :) I woke up at 7:30...got ready, ate breakfast with some people and went to school. At 9 we had a 3 hr lecture with Patrick Rambourg on the "History of cuisine in the 17th century".

You can imagine how long that was for me. But seriously...yes dad...i can actually say for the first time I enjoyed history. I know...don't quote me though ;) But i learned a lot and it was about a field i actually enjoyed! I think i even enjoyed it more than theatre history!!!! Then we had a lunch break in which I ran out to buy some vitamins. Then at 2pm Anne-Marie Royer Pantin gave a lecture on "Champagne in the 17th century: Historical, aesthetic, literary and philosophical aspects".

Now I was either tired or bored. I think a bit of both, because I was doing the head nod a bit. Oh well. Then at 4 pm Bruno Laurioux spoke on "Medieval Gastronomy".

It wasn't as bad as the last one...but it also wasn't one of my favorites. If you couldn't tell by now, most of my favorites I can give you a fact or two from the lecture. But these ones...I'm not sure i can remember much! But i took PLENTY of notes. Then we had a tiny break and at 7:30 we had our first of 4 big dinners. The other 3 are fancy...but tonights Pedagogical meal focused on medieval times (NO, not the place in schamburg!!!) Anyway...we had an apertif at 7:30 and then at 8 we spent 2 hrs watching Chef Poupard (a LCB chef) demo 10 dishes and then we ate at the same time.

The things we ate weren't that tasty...but we found out interesting tidbits like ginger was eaten by fat people to make them skinny, and 5 almonds were always eaten before the meal as to prevent drunkenness...HEY, it worked on me last nite ;) Also...Thyme is good for fevers and migraines. Little things like that, that were put into our meal. Daniele Alexandre Bidon gave the lecture during this medieval dinner.

It was rather fascinating, however not the best in taste...but I tried everything. At 10 pm I realized I was at LCB WAY too long. I came home, read a bit, and then went to bed around 11:30.

No comments: