Saturday, November 10, 2007

November 9, 2007

Guest blogging alert!

Hello to all of Penny's loyal readers! This is Leslie reporting from Penny's kitchen. So far I am having a phenomenal time visiting Pen - she is truly assimilated into the culture here and has been a great tour guide. And now she's cooking for us (while we're listening to showtunes, obvs) so I can soon confirm how well spent the past year has been :) Before I recap on the past two days, I'm going to give a short analysis of some of the things I was wondering about before I visited.

Macarroons - I totally thought of the Passover treats and was like really? You're in Paris and a pastry chef and THIS is what you love to eat? But they are definitely different. And really good. Like cream puffs texture in that there are two cookie/ pastry like parts and a creamy filling in between.

Apartment - very large and AWESOME. Beautifully decorated, completely modern, and in a great location. I even met Madame who is as cute as can be and totally cool. Her roommate is also very sweet. And her view basically right outside is the Eiffel Tower! Seriously it couldn't get better. Well except for the part where the elevator is being serviced for like four months - and she's on the TOP FLOOR OF A WINDING STAIRCASE. Let's just say that after a week my butt is going to be firm - so you can only imagine what Penny will look like after four months!

School - it seems really great. I met a lot of the people she talks about (some chefs, the administrators, Manuel, etc) and everyone is awesome. She's definitely got a great support network out here.

Speaking French - Penny's really good. She can more than definitely get by and understand even more. I was seriously impressed.

Ok, now on to Friday's activities. Penny woke up feeling as good as new and I woke up rested and without any jet lag, so we were ready to go! We went to the Musee Rodin and saw some famous sculptures I wanted to see like the Thinker, The Kiss, and The Gates of Hell. Then we walked to the Musee D'Orsay, which was totally amazing. I'm obsessed with Impressionism, and I know Penny likes that museum, so that was great. Then we took the metro to the Arc de Triumphe and the Champs Elysees where we did some major (window) shopping and went to Laduree for lunch, where Penny's favorite macarroons come from. I had a nice salad and she had a sandwich with salmon and some other stuff. And the macarroons were very good! Then we resumed the shopping and went to two department stores, which were kind of like the equivalent of Marshall Field's on State Street (tear!) but like three times more expensive. Then we were to an amazing grocery store and got the ingredients for dinner and a TON of cheese for Saturday. We walked home and Madame was home so we talked to her briefly, then checked email and stuff, and decided we were still too full from lunch to make and eat dinner, so we went to sleep.

(good job leslie. I dont think i have anything to add! but it was a BUSY day...and a LOT of touristy stuff!!! Leslie has all the pictures...but I've posted all of those pictures in previous blogs...so you don't need to see them again!)

No comments: